7.21.2010

Angels' share

Have you ever heard of "Angels' share"?

It is a term used among distillers. At the beginning of the distilling process whiskey doesn't have color at all. as clear as water. However after aging in oak barrels, it will gain brownish color little by little. and at the same time they will lose some potion by evaporation. about 4-5% every year, and after 10 years one forth of the whiskey will be away.

Ancient distillers thought there were angels of whiskey inside the barrel and were working to make the whiskey better. That's why after years the clear wild whiskey became beautiful brown and gain rich and mild flavor. And for working the magic on the whiskey angels had little sips as their share. That's how the idea of "angels' share" was born.

In Aji-Ichi the cooks get their share while they're cooking. "tasting" of course.
When some of our cooks cannot show up for flu or for some other reasons, I have a chance to be in the kitchen as a cook. Actually I'm a good one. but I know I have to be careful. If you cook hundreds of meals everyday, you would automatically know what you should do. but if you cook just once in a while even if you are a good one, you have to be extra careful to provide the best quality meal to our valued customers. That's why I often get my "share" when I'm in the kitchen.
And that's why you often see me running on the Marine drive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment